Maureen Spencer, RN, BSN, M.Ed.,CIC, FAPIC - Boston, MA
Maureen Spencer, RN, M.Ed. is an independent Infection Preventionist Consultant and has been an Infection Preventionist for over 40 years. She is board certified in infection control (CIC) and holds a Master’s Degree in Education.
As one of the early pioneers in infection control from the 70's, she was awarded the APIC National Carole DeMille Award in 1990 by her peers. This award honors an APIC member whose contributions have advanced the practice and profession of infection prevention and control.
In 2007 Maureen was selected as one of the APIC Heroes of Infection Prevention for her work in establishing a MRSA and Staph aureus Elimination Program at New England Baptist Hospital, an Orthopedic Center of Excellence in Boston, that resulted in groundbreaking evidence that early preop identification of carriers and a decolonization protocol would prevent devastating total joint and complicated spine infections. This research was published in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery in 2010.
- In 2012 she was selected as one of the "Who's Who of Infection Prevention" and in 2017 she was recognized as a Fellow of the APIC (Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology) for her advanced practice in infection prevention and leader within the field
- Maureen is currently an Infection Preventionist Consultant with Commonwealth Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, offering speaking engagements and consultations
- Her recent position was the Director, Clinical Education at Accelerate Diagnostics, Tucson, AZ.
- Prior to that she was the Corporate Director, Infection Prevention for Universal Health Services, overseeing the IP programs in 28 hospitals in 7 states.
- Her Infection Prevention nursing career in Boston include the Infection Control Director at New England Baptist Hospital, Director of the Infection Control Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital, Infection Control Nurse at the VA Medical Center and Carney Hospital.
Maureen Spencer, M.Ed., BSN, RN, CIC, FAPIC
Infection Preventionist Consultant
|File Size:||936 kb|
|Boston Celtics_MRSA_Investigation_-_Maureen_Spencer 2006.pdf|
|File Size:||80 kb|